Disapointment


So we went in today and she had not gained weight. In fact she had lost weight. She was down an oz and a 1/2 since last week. So the dr. had us wait and we came in and saw him. We are on to the new plan. with the information we have

A. I am producing enough milk (as seen when I pump)

B. When she nurses for 1 1/2 hour every 3 hours she gains weight

C. When she nurses 1 hour or less every 3 hours she loses weight

D. She falls asleep alot while nursing and is not a vigourus nurser (infact she is quite Lazy which I blame on the NICU and their fast flow bottles for an infant.)


Plan A was nurser her more I got tired and frustrated she got tired and frustrated and I was spending over 14 hours a day nursing.. End that plan

Plan B supplamant after I nurse She would only take the extra bottle about 1/2 the time and still lost weight


So We are on Plan C

I Pump and she gets a bottle with a prescribed 3 oz every 3 hours (except at night where we can let her sleep as long as she gets 18 oz total a day). I am going to do one to two regualar nurses a day at a time when I can let her go as long as she wants and so keep that good nursing connection. She will be getting a bottle of Breast milk (mostly) and a little formula that makes it 3 oz total (some times I get 3 oz some times 2 so THis way she always gets 3).


It was very disappointing after all the work we did this week to have her lose instead of gain. and it is very frustrating to be putting so much effort into this and have it not work right. However we knew that when school started we were going to have to give her a bottle and that eventually some formula, we jsut had to move it up a little bit. On the up side, she should sleep better (although so far to day that is a no go) and she she gain weight. Also this will give my nipples a break during the day so they should heal and not hurt as much. Brad gets to help with feedings, and they don't take as long. SO while this is disappointing it has some pluses and we are going to focus on those.

Comments

Unknown said…
i'm disappointed for u, i know how important this is to u. but like u said, once school starts she'll be on a bottle, so might as well get her accustomed to it. good luck! and if u need help with a lazy feeder, i have some tips! Taylor was awful after heart surgery and he was prescribed 3 oz every 3 hours too.

Popular posts from this blog

reading list

Annevsary's and baby firsts

Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Sanity